A beginner’s course in oils
this 2-day STUDIO WORKSHOP is Limited to ONLY 6 STUDENTS
Learning to use oil paints has truly opened up an incredible new artistic discovery for me. I, like many, was one of those people who confidently rambled off all of the reasons why I wouldn’t like using oils instead of giving them a try.
As like most things I embark on, once I opened my mind and my heart I absolutely have fell in love with this media.
Yes it is absolutely different then acrylics.
Yes it takes longer to dry.
Yes it can get messy.
Yes taking up oils will mean you will have to buy more paint, oil paint.
But it is for all these reasons and at least a dozen more I could easily rattle off, that I have more and more been contemplating the switch from acrylics to oils.
Topics covered in this 2-day workshop
- Products, tools and usage – the basic down and dirty donna style about oil painting!
- Choosing your palette – what colors are must haves and which ones do YOU need to have!
- Setting up your work area – this is one of the most important things. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing.
- Prepping your surface – again a game changer.
- Working from still life – I thought I hated working from still life…not anymore!
- Mapping in your design – basic shape identifying
- Where to start building your color layers – this is the big question right? What do I do first? With a couple easy steps we will conquer this together!
- How to finish your piece – To varnish or not to varnish, that is the question!
- Drying/storage – stack ‘em up!
provided for each student:
* Students may want to purchase Wet Panel and Canvas Carriers to make transporting wet artwork easier
Pam Garrison Workshop | Sept 30th-Oct 2nd 2016 ($550)
Class : Join Pam in this class geared to help you home in on your creative intuition and instincts. In this newly developed class she’ll guide you through some creative...
STUDIO Sessions | October 3, 4, 11 &12, 2016
Studio Sessions in-studio private lessons with donna downey Four 2-hour sessions, 2 days a week for 2 weeks (limit 5 students) download description here First session will run Tuesdays and...
Setting The Mood: Artist Workshop with Stephen Lursen (Oct. 14-16, 2016)
Setting the Mood: Artist Workshop with Stephen Lursen (October 14th - 16th, 2016) 1. Create emotional artwork This new and exciting workshop is all about using color, shape,...
Mindy Lacefield Workshop | October 22-23rd 2016 ($525)
Class : Join me as we revisit our 8 year old inner child as we give ourselves permission to play. We will learn to let go and have fun as...