Portraiture in the Post Impressionistic/Fauvist Style
Instructor Emily Andress
Date August 18, 2018
Location Lincolnton, NC
This class is perfect for the beginner or professional! We will experiment with color and confident brush strokes to create dynamic portraits in the style of Cezanne, Matisse, Rouault, etc. You will learn to free up your style and create power and emotion with simple brushstrokes.Bio:Emily T Andress graduated from William Woods University in 1979 with a Bachelor Degree in Fine Art with concentrations in printmaking and painting. Early on in her career, Emily chose the path of printmaking and developed a style recognizable as her own. Utilizing plenty of negative space, vivid color, and black line, the work proved to be popular in the US and abroad provided a good living for 25 years.Feeling uninspired by a style that had changed very little since the mid ‘80’s, Emily took a hiatus from printmaking and worked towards finding her style in oil painting. Drawn to the innovations in art that happened in turn of the century Paris, Emily traveled there to become inspired by the voices from another time. In particular, the uniqueness of Modigliani and the color use of the fauvists and German expressionists proved to be the inspiration to find that new identifying style. Recently she has been working with master painters to bring deeper meaning to her work. By including her line work from her printmaking days into her paintings, Emily’s style is, once again, instantly recognizable as her own.Emily’s work has been shown nationally and internationally in group and solo shows. She enjoyed month long residencies in both Ireland and Paris in the fall of 2017 and the opening of Awaken Gallery in Mount Holly, NC.Recent Achievements:
- Chosen as an ArtPop Billboard Artist
- Chosen as an Arts and Science Council CSA Artist
- Commissioned to do a painting of Queen Charlotte that was presented by the City of Charlotte and ASC to Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge as a gift in honor of their new child; Charlotte.
- Partner of Ciel Gallery, Charlotte, NC
- Best in Show MHFA Spring Juried Show 2016
- First Place MHFA Fall Juried Show 2016
- Best in Show Ellington-White Juried Show Spring 2016
- Appointed to the ASC Advisory Council for the Cultural Sector
- Olive Stack Gallery Artist in Residence, Listowel, Ireland August 2017
- Artist in Residence, Paris France September 2017
- Public Art Commission for 7 Charlotte Mecklenburg Libraries in collaboration with Jonathan Grauel
- Owner of Awaken Gallery which opened March 2018
Leggett, Page. “Artists ‘skew the masters’ in auction for ASC.” Charlotte Observer Tues 28 April 2015: C6. Print
Petit, Bernie. ”From Charlotte to Charlotte.” “asccharlotte.
wordpress.com” ASC Charlotte. Web. May 29 2015.
Lawson, Kimberly. “Ciel Gallery celebrates artists’ teamwork in ‘Collaboratus.’ Charlotte Observer Sun 12 July 2015: C2. Print
Nolan, Donal. “US artists Emily and Kerry having time of their lives in Listowel.” County Kerry, Ireland The Kerryman Wed 19 August 2015: 24. Print
Crean, Michael. “American artists capture Listowel’s beauty.” County Kerry, Ireland Kerry’s Eye Thurs 20 August 2015: 56-57. Print
“Gallery 27 in Lincolnton, NC, Offers Works by Emily Andress and Jonathan Grauel.” Carolina Arts March 2016: 16. PrintNotable Corporate Collectors:
- Walt Disney World Corporation, FL
- Armstrong Flooring, PA
- AmerisourceBergen, NC
- Corel Corporation, Canada
- Hue Forest Entertainement, NC
- Clariant Corporation, NC
- Amerisource Bergen Corporation, NC
- UPIC Health Corporation, Washington DC
- The Center for Facial Reconstructive and Plastic Surgery, NC
- BMG Music, LondonPrivate Collectors from the US, UK, Germany, France, Poland, Ireland, and Canada
Studio events are a 2-4 day immersion in mixed-media art and journaling. These creative weekends are filled with the process driven exploration of creative mediums and applications in an intimate, supportive environment, challenging students to expand their creativity through the exploration of new artistic methods and mediums.
What airport do I fly into?
Charlotte Douglas Airport in North Carolina
Do I need to rent a car?
No, we will pick you up from the airport and shuttle you each day to the studio
Where do I stay?
You can either book a room at our new studio or get a special rate with our hotel partner.
To book a room at our studio, email or call us at 704-240-8076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To book a room with a special rate with our hotel partner, see below:
Hampton Inn (located 2 miles from Donna Downey Studios)
129 Roper Drive, Lincolnton, North Carolina, 28092
To register online for the special event rate, click here or call and use Donna Downey Studios corporate code 0002759994
If you would like to enroll in a workshop that has been sold out,
please send an email to email@example.com and you will be put on a waiting list.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org