Donna Downey • November 21-22, 2020
LIVE ONLINE - The Abstract Figure
Mixed-Media art is exciting! The opportunity to stretch yourself, each layer infusing more depth and personality as you work, leading you down the path of making unique and expressive artwork that resonates.
We will create artwork that has something to say, whether it is in the literal sense of using words or simply knowing how to place color and textures so that your work lures the viewer in to seek and enjoy more. We will focus on abstracting the human figure and will use several different mediums to create a powerful, expressive composition that is deeply personal. Art speaks volumes and I want to give you the confidence that allows you to continue to create in your own unique voice.
Course will focus on:
Using graphite to break the stigma of the blank paper
Building a background by layering acrylics
Developing a figure(s) that helps express your concept
Exploring paint applications that change the expressiveness of your work
Shading and color development for building value
Adding stencils for interesting visual textures and movement
Changing media to build strong contrast
Embracing the art of messy handwriting as a visual element
Students will need:
- Two 18 x 24 surfaces. These can be watercolor paper, mixed-media paper, primed unstretched canvas, boards, etc. (Due to the nature of layers and techniques preferably NO STRETCHED CANVASES)
- palette paper and/or sta-wet palette
- Acrylic Paints. Please bring any and all colors that you want to work with. I personally like to mix heavy body and fluid acrylics when I paint for texture and contrast. I also like to work in a mix of warms, cools and neutrals like Titan Buff, Raw Umber and White.
- white gesso
- a mix of small and large round, flat or filbert brushes
- If you have these are fun to use
- book text
- Matte Medium
- Spectrafix - this one is odorless and can be sprayed indoors.
- Optional large drawing board. Sometimes students like to work on these.
- baby wipes
- paper towels
- brush bucket
- palette paper and/or sta-wet palette (i like to use a glass palette)
- spray bottle
Gift Cards, Studio Workshops, Online Workshops, and Digital Downloads are non-refundable
If you have any questions about our policy please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.