A beginner’s course in oils
this 2-day STUDIO WORKSHOP is Limited to ONLY 6 STUDENTS
Learning to use oil paints has truly opened up an incredible new artistic discovery for me. I, like many, was one of those people who confidently rambled off all of the reasons why I wouldn’t like using oils instead of giving them a try.
As like most things I embark on, once I opened my mind and my heart I absolutely have fell in love with this media.
Yes it is absolutely different then acrylics.
Yes it takes longer to dry.
Yes it can get messy.
Yes taking up oils will mean you will have to buy more paint, oil paint.
But it is for all these reasons and at least a dozen more I could easily rattle off, that I have more and more been contemplating the switch from acrylics to oils.
Topics covered in this 2-day workshop
- Products, tools and usage – the basic down and dirty donna style about oil painting!
- Choosing your palette – what colors are must haves and which ones do YOU need to have!
- Setting up your work area – this is one of the most important things. Once I figured that out it was smooth sailing.
- Prepping your surface – again a game changer.
- Working from still life – I thought I hated working from still life…not anymore!
- Mapping in your design – basic shape identifying
- Where to start building your color layers – this is the big question right? What do I do first? With a couple easy steps we will conquer this together!
- How to finish your piece – To varnish or not to varnish, that is the question!
- Drying/storage – stack ‘em up!
provided for each student:
* Students may want to purchase Wet Panel and Canvas Carriers to make transporting wet artwork easier
Making Magic: Animals in Glowing Gold. Workshop with Stephen Lursen Friday Jan. 27th, 2017
Making Magic: Animals in Glowing Gold. Workshop with Stephen Lursen Date: Friday Jan. 27th, 2017 Time: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Materials: Acrylic and gold leaf on one 16"x20" canvas (all materials included...
"Abstract Floral" Workshop | January 28th-29th 2017
DONNA DOWNEY "Abstract Floral" Workshop | January 28th-29th 2017 Class size limited.... Event Overview Spend two days with Donna painting "Abstract Florals". Using GOLDEN paints, build a basic working knowledge of color,...
Making Magic: Animals in Glowing Gold. Workshop with Stephen Lursen Thursday Feb. 9th, 2017
Making Magic: Animals in Glowing Gold. Workshop with Stephen Lursen Date: Thursday Feb. 9th, 2017 Time: 5:00pm - 9:30pm Materials: Acrylic and gold leaf on one 16"x20" canvas (all materials included in...
Danielle Donaldson "whatnots (illustrated)" Workshop | Feb 10-11th, 2017
Danielle Donaldson is coming back to Donna Downey Studios for a another new & exciting workshop! ALL SUPPLIES ARE INCLUDED......... LUNCH, DRINKS, AND SNACKS WILL BE PROVIDED FRIDAY &...