Finding Your Artistic Style
Instructor donna downey
Date March 19-21, 2019
Finding your artistic style – 2 or 3 day workshop
As artists we paint to discover ourselves. Each brushstroke we make reveals a little bit more about ourselves and who we are. This idea of “Finding Our Style” is not an external realization of who we are to become as artists, but more a personal internal quest for expressing our colors, compositions and line with a voice that is authentically our own. This voice may shift and change and evolve over time and as artists we are responsible to truly listen to the passion that drives us to create.
This workshop is for artists who want to set out on their own personal journey and developing their own visual language. Everyone has a visual language, its what inspires you to pick up a brush and begin painting, It’s the gut reaction to the world around you, it is the voice that empowers you to follow your dreams and it is the force propelling you to take the next risk instead of sitting back playing it safe.
Your art is the expression of your language as much as it is of your passion. We all know the feeling we get when we haven’t created in a while, it is like being silenced or feeling disconnected. Listening to your voice and expressing your self creates the balance; the art of expression fills us up and when we are filled up we feel the need to express. Life’s perfect symmetry!
Supplies Provided: Students will have full access to our classroom supplies. however, if you have specific supplies or surfaces you would like to use or cannot live without, please bring the items you need.
- Classroom Supplies
- each student will be provide a table and/or easel
Day 1: Optional 11:00 AM- TBD (Wear comfortable clothes & shoes, bring snacks just in case you get the munchies while shopping)
- The Depot at Gibson Mill - This is one of my favorite places to go junking and find inspiration. Here we will be able to learn a lot about our artistic voice and the nature of our language. As you walk, shop, tour and browse the treasures of 88,000 square ft. converted mill you will also be taking note of the emotional and physical responses you have to the items around you.
- Bring your favorite journal – I have found that a journal is a truly personal reflection of who you are and want to be as an artist. Your journal will be the place that you will write your ideas, express your feelings and discover your language.
- A favorite pen or pens – I find this is another extremely personal choice.
- Bring a camera phone – Some things may not fit your budget or your travel plans, bring a camera to snap photos of the items that speak loudly to you or elicit a response, this way if you want to explore deeper that reaction in more detail later you can.
- If you are traveling by air and you know you are a shopper, you may consider packing a bag inside of another just in case. We will also be able to ship anything you may need to from the studio as well.
(coffee, pastries, drinks, lunch & snacks provided)
- Just like in learning a new language you need to establish a structural foundation. We will spend the day diving deeper into what excites you as an artist.
- Expect to be painting on your own subjects and building your own expressive language.
(coffee, pastries, drinks, lunch & snacks provided)
- The last day will focus on communication and composition and finding ways to use your personal artistic language to expressively embody your work.
* NOTE : Students staying with us in our on-site accommodations will also receive continental breakfast, Chef prepared dinner, unlimited access to studios & art supplies, and on-site amenities. To inquire about on-site lodging contact email@example.com or call 704.240.8076 for availability and pricing.
Workshops Policies : Half-day, full-day, multi-day workshops, and special events are scheduled throughout the year. Once you purchase a workshop you will be enrolled.
Due to limited class size, purchased spots for all workshops are transferable but payment is non-refundable. What this means: If you buy a class spot and are unable to attend, and if there is a waiting list of students that has formed, we will put you in contact with the first person on the list to whom you can offer your class spot. If the person on the list accepts, then that person will need to pay you for your spot and once that transaction is complete and both parties are satisfied, we will transfer your spot to the other person. If you are unable to attend and there is no waiting list, we will unfortunately be unable to provide refunds.
Emergency Cancellations : In the very rare event of an unavoidable natural disaster or act of God, the class may be cancelled. In this situation, all fees will be reimbursed to students in full.
If you would like to enroll in a workshop that has been sold out, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be put on a waiting list.
Studio events are a 2-4 day immersion in mixed-media art and journaling. These creative weekends are filled with the process driven exploration of creative mediums and applications in an intimate, supportive environment, challenging students to expand their creativity through the exploration of new artistic methods and mediums.
What airport do I fly into?
Charlotte Douglas Airport in North Carolina
Do I need to rent a car?
We offer complimentary rides (at specified times) to and from the airport and shuttle you each day to the studio. For more info, click here.
Where do I stay?
You can either book a room at our new studio or get a special rate with our hotel partner.
To book a room at our studio, email or call us at 704-240-8076 or email@example.com. For more info on rooms, click here.
To book a room with a special rate with our hotel partner, see below:
Quality Inn (located 2 miles from Donna Downey Studios)
1550 E Main St, Lincolnton, North Carolina, 28092
Hampton Inn (located 2 miles from Donna Downey Studios)
129 Roper Drive, Lincolnton, North Carolina, 28092
To register online for the special event rate, click here or call and use Donna Downey Studios corporate code 0002759994
What is the cancellation policy?
Purchased class spots are non-refundable. In the event that you cannot attend, and the workshop is sold out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in contact with the first person on the waiting list. From there, the payment must be worked out between both parties. If there is no waiting list, we are unfortunately unable to provide any refund or credit.
If you would like to enroll in a workshop that has been sold out,
please send an email to email@example.com and you will be put on a waiting list.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org