donna downey. •. February 5-7, 2021
The Art of the Altered Book
Friday-Sunday 10M -4PM
This retreat is a 3-day immersion into the art of repurposing an old book into a piece of unique art that makes a statement. As Artists we are visual storytellers, combining the love of language and visual color and design can elevate the stories we have to tell.
Just as each artist and each story is unique so will be your book.
You will learn:
- Mixed-Media applications
- Techniques for building better base layers
- Collage methods for using your personal treasures and ephemera
- Mono printing to create distinctive papers that connect your story
- Core design for interactive pages
- Breaking an rebuilding a spine to accommodate thick juicy pages
- Carving niches for secret stories
- 3-dimensional inclusions
All paints, mediums, printing, bookbinding and books will be supplied, however, to make your books unique it's time to dig into those hoards of supplies and bring them along.
Suggestions for what to bring:
patterned papers, ribbons, ephemera, tags, tapes & trinkets (if you like dingle-dangles to stick out of your book).
If you have a specific book you want to alter, bring that along too!
* NOTE : Students staying with us in our on-site accommodations will also receive continental breakfast, Chef prepared dinner, unlimited access to studios & art supplies, and on-site amenities. To inquire about on-site lodging contact donna @donnadowney.com or call 704.240.8076 for availability and pricing.
Gift Cards, Studio Workshops, Online Workshops, and Digital Downloads are non-refundable
If you have any questions about our policy please contact us at email@example.com.