The Simplified Portrait
Instructor donna downey
Date April 12-14, 2019
One of the most magical discoveries I have experienced as an artist is that, "I can paint faces!!" These were the exact words that escaped in excitement when I finished my first portrait. Since painting that portrait, I have not only seen my portrait work grow beyond my own personal artistic boundaries, but I have also gained a more expressive quality and voice in my work. Exploring this new expressive approach to my art, I can directly attribute much of that growth to simplifying my portrait painting process.
I designed this class for all levels from the very beginner to the practiced artist. although we will work together in establishing some basic face basics, we will not draw a single line! YES that is what i said NO DRAWING NEEDED. We will be painters all weekend, enjoying the art of the painted portrait without measuring and technical mumbo jumbo that only confuses the joy of painting.
basic overview of the weekends lessons
- Class size is limited to a 10 student maximum
- This workshop can be done in acrylics or oils (or both)
- We will be working in several sizes from 6x6 up to 16x20
- We will not be striving for realism, more focussing on the expressive quality of portraiture
- We will explore paint colors, skin tones and color mixing.
- Elements of the face and how they apply to facial expressions.
- Portraits from different perspectives
- Defining the face through shadow and light.
- Highlighting the stylistic differences each artist brings to their own painting.
* * * * *
Donna Downey Studios Retreat Weekends provide all students with...
ALL supplies needed for workshop lessons
Fresh, clean-eats on-site Chef Prepared lunch everyday
Afternoon refreshments and snacks
Exclusive access to our 3 on-site Markets
Private Gallery Artwork and house grounds
* * * * *
* NOTE : Students staying with us in our on-site accommodations will also receive continental breakfast, Chef prepared dinner, unlimited access to studios & art supplies, and on-site amenities. To inquire about on-site lodging contact Gabby@donnadowney.com for availability and pricing.
Workshop Scheduleclass begins at 10:00 AM and ends at 4:00 PM each day
(with a 1-hour break for lunch)
Studio events are a 2-4 day immersion in mixed-media art and journaling. These creative weekends are filled with the process driven exploration of creative mediums and applications in an intimate, supportive environment, challenging students to expand their creativity through the exploration of new artistic methods and mediums.
What airport do I fly into?
Charlotte Douglas Airport in North Carolina
Do I need to rent a car?
We offer complimentary rides (at specified times) to and from the airport and shuttle you each day to the studio. For more info, click here.
Where do I stay?
You can either book a room at our new studio or get a special rate with our hotel partner.
To book a room at our studio, email or call us at 704-240-8076 or email@example.com. For more info on rooms, click here.
To book a room with a special rate with our hotel partner, see below:
Quality Inn (located 2 miles from Donna Downey Studios)
1550 E Main St, Lincolnton, North Carolina, 28092
Hampton Inn (located 2 miles from Donna Downey Studios)
129 Roper Drive, Lincolnton, North Carolina, 28092
To register online for the special event rate, click here or call and use Donna Downey Studios corporate code 0002759994
What is the cancellation policy?
Purchased class spots are non-refundable. In the event that you cannot attend, and the workshop is sold out, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be put in contact with the first person on the waiting list. From there, the payment must be worked out between both parties. If there is no waiting list, we are unfortunately unable to provide any refund or credit.
If you would like to enroll in a workshop that has been sold out,
please send an email to email@example.com and you will be put on a waiting list.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org